Monday, June 25, 2007

A Well Deserved Public Reprimand

Over the weekend I managed to piss off perhaps one of the last true friends I have, Jack Cornell. Today I came across his new blog[www.jax411.blogspot.com] which I welcome the lone, lost Web-surfer who has come across this page to go check out and publicly confess that I am indeed the very "client"(i.e.,"dipshit"]who prompted the entry. I do so to my shame and humiliation.
Seems like I have been waiting for nearly my entire life to get to the point where I can hear songs that I have written really come to life-played by tremendously talented musicians and recorded by professionals. After working since late March,flying back and forth to North Carolina throughout the Spring and into Summer, I finally was given a rough mix of a half dozen songs and I just could not resist letting a bunch of my friends hear them. I was so proud of what they sounded like, and so wanted to let my friends understand why I have been so excited and dedicated to this effort, that I wanted to let them in to what was going on.
From the point of view of folks who know me, I think it seems to them as if I have lost my mind and have been willing to throw everything up into the air for some kind of fanciful, middle aged 'vanity recording'. I wanted them to get a listen to what I really believe is a very worthwhile project, so that they could understand that a) I'm not making this stuff aboout making a record and b)I'm more than the 'lawyer guy' they thought they knew and c)this project is turning out so well that it makes some sense for me to have turned my life upside down for it.
But from the point of view of the true professionals who have also turned their lives upside down for me...I'm a schmuck for having been so uncool and Busch League that I ran around letting the world hear a half-finished(i.e.,"half-assed")effort that could throw a wet blanket over the record because it could potentially lessen the impact of the finshed,best version of the tracks.
There's no doubt-they're right and I was wrong and I announce this to the world(that means you-yes, that 12 year old who got lost and got to this site by accident because he was looking for a Monty Python blog).
So no more Mr.Nice Guy. Those of my friends,family and professional acquaintances who have been dying to hear what I've been working on and putting my heart and soul into, will just have to stand in line and pay $12.95 along with all 3 of the other folks. Sorry.
You don't fuck with Jack Cornell.

1 comment:

Jax411 said...

Monty! I wasn't calling you out. I was using our experience as a cautionary note to anyone who decides to make a recording. I did the same thing and if I remember correctly it was Don Dixon (a very imposing presence when he is within three inches of your face), who was not pleased with me. Of course it was a little harder to share music back in the day. You had to share it on cassette tape. Ahhh, the days of tape hiss...
cya this weekend
jack