Thursday, June 7, 2007

One Badass in a Band of Badasses

I've been listening to the rough mixes of my record and a number of things are jumping out at me, so I thought that I would share my impressions with y'all. The first has to do with one Dave Bartholomew.
Before I met up with these folks, one of my favorite albums of all time was Caitlin Cary's, "Begonias" album. Then I meet Terry Anderson and the members of his band, which of course include Dave, and come to find out he's on that record quite a bit. I had heard his playing on Terry's records and thought he was one damn good guitar player. But I had no idea he was such a good drummer and producer, until I started to learn more about his background...and see his talent in action in my sessions.
Like all really gifted people, and like I could say about each of the members of The OakTeam, they always make it look easy and effortless. It all seems like they aren't even trying all that hard...and that's where the magic must come from. It's like when a home run hitter will tell you that the secret is to try not to over swing-just see the ball and make solid contact and that is exactly what Dave does.
When we were tracking, he'd track a guitar solo and it would seem like he wasn't even trying. Now when I hear it played back, the stuff he did was absolutely brilliant. Since he is such an accomplished producer in his own right, I can see that he was way downfield while we were recording, imagining what the ultimate recording would need and realizing instinctively how to get there. I say this because, as I am listening to the rough mix of the record, he does stuff right around the time we're fading out that fucking kills me!
And now, as I ruminate, all of it kills me even more! I somehow lucked into recording my first record with a lead guitarist who thinks like a producer..because he is one! And I have bandmates on this record that are quite simply the best in the world at what they do-bar none and they know each other so well that all of this happens automatically and in an unspoken, almost telepathic manner.
I right now have rough mixes of the songs we recorded with Terry on drums and Dave on lead guitar and the sound just explodes out of the speakers. We recorded 7 of the 13 in that line up and it's like watching Barry Bonds, all 'roided up, hitting fat batting practice curves. Each one just goes sailing outta the park. And Mr. Dave Bartholomew is a big big reason why.
I could go on, because I have found that, as a person, he's also one of a kind(as are each of these great people who have gathered together to get this project off the ground). But he'd only get pissed at me for wearing all of this shit on my sleeve.
So, if you see him...just tell him I posted on my Blog about how I think he sucks. That way he'll have yet another reason to feel ok about threatening to kick my ass.
...Then reassure him that he's at the end of a very,very long line.

No comments: