Friday, August 10, 2007

"I'm In The Mood..."

I'm settling into my office and I'm hearing, over my computer, John Lee Hooker and Bonnie Rait's version of "I'm in the Mood", and it strikes me how lucky we are these days to be living in an age when you can simply plug in www.wfuv.org, no matter where you live in the world, and PRESTO-you can listen to one of the coolest Public Radio stations in this country-it's Fordham U's station and it's even better than Sirrius. Now I'm listening to Tom Waits, "Always Keep A Diamond in Your Mind".
Telling you-this should be saved in your 'favorites' list and you should try listening to it whenever you can. It will keep you current on the latest roots rock,remind you of how great the music of the early 70s really was,will let you know what the latest local news is in NYC and it is quite simply what FM radio was all about when I was growing up. Truth is, there are a number of great Public/University sponsored radio stations around the country-the one in Philly,the one in RDU,the one in Nashville,the one in Chicago, a great station in SF,a great one in New Orleans, but WFUV is in New York fucking City...so there!
I might just have to pull an "Elvis Costello' once my record is released and play outside their studios until they agree to include my record in their rotation. "Wherever you may wander, wherever you may roam, may you always keep a diamond in your mind...."
Have a great weekend,y'all.

No comments: