Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Life Just Got Shittier

So, after enjoying a beautiful weekend in Raleigh, I fly back to West Palm Beach late last Sunday night. It's humid,hot,rainy,etc., but nothing that I'm not used to.
Next morning,it's raining like all get out and, due to the flood, I decide to break with my morning routine of getting the paper and then making coffee, by reversing the procedure-hoping that the rain will let up enough to ease my waddle down the drive way to pick up the paper-which is by now floating in a mud puddle which used to be the swale of my driveway.
I make my coffee, prepare a nice steaming cup to raise my spirits and, as my eyes start to open, I venture out to get the now quite soggy paper. Mission accomplished, paper unfolded, I return to my now, half-consummed cup of coffee and decide to settle in to read the main headline: "Boil Water Order Still in Effect;Fecal Matter Still in Water Supply; Officials Clueless".
Right on cue, I begin to hear those "come in Tokyo" sounds calling from my belly.
As I write this, the entire City is entering the 5th or 6th day of having to boil all drinking water. The city has no idea where the breech in the system occurred(they've speculated that some construction site disconnected the water line and mistakenly switched the sewer line when they went to reattach it). Since the City has slammed the system with so much chlorine, they are now encouraging the citizens to waste as much water as possible-in the middle of a drought-to clear the lines of excess chlorine.
Meanwhile, due to extreme weather systems that have been pounding away at our beaches all summer, miles of beaches are now washed away into the ocean and a number of beachfront houses and condos are in jeopardy of getting washed away too. Sea turtles lay their eggs along the beaches down here in the summer and now it looks like most of them have perished by being washed away along with the beach.
And you wonder why I enjoy a glass of wine on occassion and write love songs to the 919.
"...Am I in Heaven. Or am I in Miami[West Palm Beach]...?"

No comments: